9-1-1894 ~ 12-7-1981
Myrtle (Swanner) Pegues
5-14-1903 ~ 2-8-1960
Her Home Was Her Career
Magnolia Park Cemetery
Warner Robins, Houston County, Georgia
Ira Pegues was born in Alabama to David King Pegues (1846-1935) and Jerusha Gullatt (1849-1934). Ira had 11 siblings. The following 1910 US Federal census entry does not show all the siblings, but still shows a large family:
(Jackson County, Alabama)
- Pegues, David K. (hoh) age 64 - m 41 yrs - b AL - father b SC - mother b NC - occ general farmer
- Pegues, Jerushia (wife) age 60 - m 41 yrs - 12 children, 9 living - b AL
- Pegues, John M. (son) age 39 - b AL - occ general farmer
- Pegues, David K. (son) age 22 - b AL - occ public school teacher
- Pegues, Maud (dau) age 20 - b AL
- Pegues, James C. (son) age 17 - b AL - occ home farm laborer
- Pegues, Ira (son) age 15 - b AL - occ home farm laborer
- Brown, Annie H. (dau) age 32 - wd - 4 children, 3 living - b AL
- Brown, Maud M. (g-dau) age 11 - b AL - father b TN
- Brown, Rosa L. (g-dau) age 9 - b AL - father b TN
- Brown, William W. (g-son) age 5 - b AL - father b TN
- Pegues, Elizabeth S. (sis) age 75 - b AL - father b SC - mother b NC
Ira married Myrtle Irene Swanner 26 December 1924 in Athens, Alabama. They had a son, Ira Jr., born 7 October 1925 in Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama.
Ira and family is listed in the 1930 Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama US Federal census. Ira's occupation is tax commission auditor.
Georgia Deaths, 1919-98 states Ira died in Cobb County, Georgia, with a residence in Barrow County, Georgia. This is interesting since Ira and his wife are buried in Houston County, Georgia. Myrtle died 20 years before Ira. Were they living in Warner Robins at the time of her death?
Transcriptions from Ira's family Bible are online on a couple of message boards, including this one.
Ira's parents are buried in Hurt Cemetery; Jackson County, Alabama. Transcriptions are on FindAGrave.