- Edward was a retired insurance executive and underwriting member of Lloyd's of London.
- He co-founded The Southern General Insurance Company about 1951.
- He founded the Southeast Commandery of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus in 1980.
- He attended Emory University, and memberships included The Society of Colonial Wars, The National Society -- Americans of Royal Descent, The Military Order of the World Wars, The Georgia Trust for Historical Preservation, Historic Oakland Cemetery, and the Georgia Historical Society.
- He "was the great great great grandson of one of Georgia's earliest governors, General James Jackson, of Revolutionary War fame. General Jackson accepted the surrender of Savannah from the British and served the state of Georgia as a Representative and U.S. Senator. History books also record General Jackson's exposure of the Yazoo Land Fraud."
- He "was also the great nephew of the late John M. Slaton, former governor of Georgia from 1912 - 1915."
- His "maternal great grandfather, James Jackson,...was a Chief Justice of The Supreme Court of Georgia. He was a colonel and Judge Advocate General for Robert E. Lee in the Army of Northern Virginia during The War Between the States."
- "His paternal great grandfather, William Franklin Slaton, a major in the Confederate Army, was founder of the Atlanta Public School system and its first superintendent."
- His "grandfather, William Martin Slaton, former principal of the Old Boys High School, was also superintendent of Atlanta's public schools for many years."
- "Mr. Hitt was a collateral descendant of President George Washington."
Edward, his wife, and his parents all rest in Atlanta's Oakland Cemetery.
|Photo © 2012 S. Lincecum|