07 February 2013

More Voltage than Used in Death Chairs (This Time It's Personal)

I recently signed up for Newspapers.com and was pleased with the number of results listed after my usual "test" search of LINCECUM. One of the first entries I read was an item about the death of my 4th cousin Lucullus B. Lincecum:

Newspapers.com Clipping
Harlingen, Texas, Jan. 10 -- Two blood transfusions failed to save the life of L. B. Lincecum, 25, of San Benito, who died here at 2:30 this afternoon from the results of an electrical shock, from a 33,000-volt line.

The young man was employed by the Central Power and Light Company, and suffered the injury Dec. 29, near Sebastian, where he came in contact with a high line carrying more voltage than used in death chairs.

Lincecum was on the cross arm of a pole, and his head touched the line, while he held a wire going to the ground.

R. A. Ewing of the power department of the Central Power and Light Company, with which Lincecum was employed, gave a pint of blood in a transfusion this morning, and Scott Lincecum, brother of the deceased, who came here from West Columbia, gave blood in an effort to save his life." [The Weimar Mercury (Texas), 17 January 1930]

An item dated a week prior from the Brownsville Herald (Texas) under the headline of Shock Victim In Harlingen Better stated Lincecum was improving and would recover. But that was not to be. According to FindAGrave, L. B. Lincecum rests at Columbia Cemetery in Brazoria County, Texas. I have submitted a photo request -- fingers crossed. [Update: my request was fulfilled! I shared and wrote about it here.]

Accident Details

Brownsville Herald (Texas)
30 December 1929, pg. 15
Electrician Badly Hurt at San Benito
(Special to The Herald)
SAN BENITO, Dec. 30 -- Cul Lincecum, 24, is in Valley hospital in a badly burned condition after having been shocked by a high tension wire at 10:30 Sunday morning. His condition is thought serious. He had not regained consciousness early today.

Lincecum was working on a pole near Sebastian when he accidentally touched the wire and was hurled to the earth, striking on his head. He was taken to the hospital by a Thompson ambulance.

He has worked here a year, having come here from Victoria. His father, L. G. Lincecum, West Columbia, drove to Harlingen with his daughter Lucille to see his son.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin