A monument to these Confederate dead was dedicated in July of 1908. Lucian Lamar Knight in Georgia's Landmarks, Memorials and Legends (pub. 1914) states:
"Fourteen little girls, representing various States whose soldiers were sleeping in the sacred area around the monument unveiled the shaft and revealed the finished work of the artist, while the great throng gazed upon the scene in mute admiration."
"To Our Confederate Dead. Erected and Dedicated, By Kennesaw Chapter, United Daughters Of The Confederacy, Marietta, Georgia, 1908."
The side opposite shows an unfurled Confederate flag with the following:
"For though conquered, they adore it,
Love the cold dead hands that bore it."
The west side:
"To Our Cobb County Soldiers, who so nobly illustrated Georgia on many a hard won field; to those who died for a sacred cause, and to those who lived to win a nobler victory in time of peace."
Finally, the east:
"To the 3,000 Soldiers in the Cemetery, from every Southern States, who fell on Georgia soil, in defense of Georgia Homes. They sleep the sleep of our noble slain; defeated, yet without a stain, proudly and peacefully."